A traditional beer house offering a consistently high quality product over several decades. The Camra awards span many years and speak volumes to the discerning traditional beer drinker.
The inn is housed in the rear section of an old building on the corner of St.Mary's Street and Church Street. It has a brick shell over an earlier stone structure and is thought to date from 1665. Its early history is unknown but it has been recorded as a public house since 1780 when it was known as the Greyhound. Later it was renamed the Horse and Jockey and then the Lord Hill or the General Lord Hill after Shropshire's most famous soldier. In 1828 the inn was renamed the Shrewsbury Arms but has been known locally by its nickname, the Loggerheads, since 1831.
The Loggerheads is the name given to the three leopard or lion's heads depicted on the arms of the town of Shrewsbury.
The Loggerheads offers traditional pub games including Darts & Dominoes and the now less often come across shove ha'penny.